gota

The heroes of yesterday are dead and gone. Division and the Mutant Control Enforcement Agency (MCEA) saw to that. This dystopia we live in is the result of one anti-mutant hate crime that sparked the third world war. The law now requires mutants to register, to spend the rest of their lives being a number on a file with a tracking device on their wrist or in their bloodstream.

For a while, the children of fallen heroes started to work in the shadows as the new X-Men. Not all that long ago, the latest incarnation of the X-Men was brought down in flames by Division's efforts. Team members captured, Agents killed, Cosmic fire everywhere... It seems as though the days of the X-Men have come and gone once again. Or have they?

For a while, the children of fallen heroes started to work in the shadows as the new X-Men. Not all that long ago, the latest incarnation of the X-Men was brought down in flames by Division's efforts. Team members captured, Agents killed, Cosmic fire everywhere... It seems as though the days of the X-Men have come and gone once again. Or have they?

Notice: Human Division employees are still much needed, even if they're depowered mutants. We would also love to see more MHA, Morlock and Purifier affiliated characters.

We are currently accepting Site-Canons and Originals

Closed
New Poll

OKONKWO, Makena S., 33 | Registered Mutant | Lupita Nyong'o
----
 Posted: Jun 17 2017, 03:25 PM

36 POSTS
APPLICATION SHIPPER
© N/A · · Offline

DATABASE FILE # 0617438 MUTANT, REGISTERED
MAKENA SYBELE OKONKWO
THIRTY-THREE | REGISTERED MUTANT | LUPITA NYONG'O
WAKANDA PRINCESS, DIPLOMAT | AEROKINESIS, HYDROKINESIS | ZEPHYR
" YOU COUNTER DESPAIR WITH HOPE. YOU STRIVE FOREVER FOR THE BEST YOU ARE CAPABLE TO BE! THEREIN LIES THE VICTORY! "
  • Elemental Manipulation: “Air and Water are Two of Life’s Necessary Pieces.”
    My powers, inherited from my Mother, revolve around one half of the four elements that for so long were believed to comprise all living things. Specifically, I can manipulate the elements of AIR and WATER. The easiest way I know how to explain it is this: I can feel the natural flow of the energy within both wind and water and am able to direct them to my will. Normally, I also use some of the dancing motions I learned as a child since the flowing motions makes it easier to direct the same free and flowing elements. When I use my powers, my eyes take on a faint electric blue glow. When my emotions become enraged, my eyes even begin to produce a wispy, mist-like trail from my eyes.

When I manipulate THE AIR, that’s when I feel like my powers are the closest incarnation to my mother’s that I can produce. I can lead the air currents to generate large gusts of winds to push people or things back. In addition, I can cause the wind velocity to increase to the point of either eroding solid objects or slashing cloth-like materials and flesh. Wind at extreme speeds can also create a deafening barrier, allowing for sound to be muffled as we move or have to deal with sound-based issues. Likewise, by creating drafts and manipulating the currents around me, I can simulate flight, though I can only maintain it for no longer than ten to twelve minutes, depending on what else is going on. I can also use the winds to direct my movements and give me the appearance of speeding up in bursts.

When I manipulate THE WATER, the biggest prerequisite I have to using it is that I can only manipulate pre-existing bodies of water. Likewise, I cannot manipulate the actual quantity of the water itself, but instead the viscosity. Besides the actual liquid state of water, I can also induce a shift change within the water. By manipulating the molecule’s excitability, I can slow them down and freeze the water or speed them up and cause the liquid to become mist. This at least provide a nice concealer if those I’m around ever need to get away without engaging in a physical confrontation.

Enhanced Magical Resistance: “Make Your Own Magic.”
    My brother and I, due to our magically-inclined ancestry, possess an innate resistance to magic. When we are together, that resistance is further fortified. However, the further we are from each other, the less our own defenses are heightened. Mother truly believes that it is this invisible tie my brother and I share that kept us protected against the magic that changed the world on M-Day.

• Elemental Manipulation: “With every Power, there comes an equal Cost”
    Although my powers aren’t normally detectable themselves, if someone recognizes the fact that my irises glow when I use them, then they can quickly react and be vigilant to my powers. I also have to focus, so if something breaks my train of thought or my concentration then the elements I rule over may falter or my elements may not follow my will like I intend. Also, though I have yet to test it, I am sure that I would be at a natural disadvantage against someone who possesses a singular power over an element I control. At the very least, they’d be able to negate whatever efforts I put forward with the element of their affinity. In addition, both elements I control possess a natural disadvantage against electrical abilities, since electricity can either ignite compounds within the air or are conducted through water. Outside of these general weaknesses of my elemental manipulations, each specific element is as follows.

For my aerokinesis, the one of the biggest issues is that arises in the presence of immovable objects. For obvious reasons, they act as a barrier against the winds I control. The element of fire is also this element’s natural opposite, as my element naturally feeds the flames produced by any fire-related phenomenon. Also, depending on what elements are present in the air, it may even ignite the elements leading to catastrophic outcomes. While using the air as either a source of flight or as a thruster, I almost always find myself having to take moments to catch my breath. The longer I use these specific applications the more severe my shortness of breath becomes. I’ve even reached the point where I become unable to stand before.

Hydrokinesis, which was my second element to learn, also poses some rather unique problems related to the element itself. For example, the lunar cycle has a great influence on my control over water. As the moon fills out in the night sky, my power and capability to use water increases greatly with my peak occurring during a full moon. Likewise, from this high point my power with water wanes as the moon progresses towards the new moon. When a new moon rises, I can only manipulate water and cannot change its form or viscosity. What’s worse, is during a lunar eclipse, I become unable to use my hydrokinetic powers. I only know this because a lunar eclipse occurred over Wakanda before I left to join the X-Men and I found myself unable to use any semblance of this portion of my powers. Other than that, I can only use what water is preexisting in the general vicinity. This means I can’t pull water out of the air, which would be very useful if I could. This element’s natural opposite is the element of earth. The durability of it can resist the flow of water without much issue. Likewise, the plants and nature that often take home in the earth also are able to greatly thrive off water. Speaking of things, to change the state of matter the water is currently in takes quite a bit of energy since the change does not rely on the temperature itself to induce them, but my own will and concentration. Trying to change too large of a quantity may fail or incompletely change despite my best efforts.

• Normally, I wouldn’t say anything spectacular happened when my twin brother and I were born. Well, I say that. But when you have a mother who is an internationally known hero and weather witch, you tend to think the phenomenon she conjures are somewhat natural. On May 17th, 2005 the people near the capital of Wakanda saw one of the most “supernatural” weather occurrences in the area. Storm clouds rolled in from nowhere, bringing a mighty squall, blinding lightning, booming thunder, and heavy rain as the Queen Mother went into labor.

Her work bringing us into the word was finished after merely a few hours. The skies parted, revealing a brilliant blue sky and shining sun. Many people say they even saw a rainbow halo around the castle. I’m not too sure how much has been dramatized but after all I’ve seen, I wouldn’t be too surprise if it did all happen the way people say.

My brother and I were both raised with the resources available to the royal family. We were taught by some of the most knowledgeable minds of Wakanda (including our Mother), trained to fight by our Father and his sister Shuri, and self-discovered the wonders of our homeland. I can’t speak for my brother but I was certainly content and joyful for the way life was. It made me happy to know that my family was there with me for every step of the my life.

It was like this up to my fourteenth birthday, which is when things began to change for us. Wakanda has an annual festival for the Summer Solstice, which occurs just a few days after my birthday. For this particular one, I was expected to perform a dance for the King Father’s and Queen Mother’s visiting guests. I loved dancing and was more than happy to do what was asked of me. When it came time for my dance, I gracefully walked to the center of the room with all eyes on me. I remember the sudden tingling of my skin as the wind started to pick up gently. I remember twirling like a lithe leaf in the wind and then in the next blink I was being lifted up.

I was frightened, something like this had never happened before. As I looked around the room, my eyes met my twin’s. His eyes were alight like hot embers. Something was happening to him as well but from my fear I don’t remember what was happening to him. I could hear the King Father addressing his son moments before my Mother’s own voice gentle reached my ears. She hovered beside me, her gentle smile and strong eyes showing her pride in me. I felt so warm with her presence beside me as she spoke on how to lead the winds to gently lower me to the ground. Father helped my brother get his mutation under control as well, probably using tricks Mother had taught him in case of this. Mother embraced us both and told us that now that we knew we were mutants, to take pride in our identity and embrace the gifts we’d been given.

She’d given us something special… and I couldn’t thank her more for it.

We immediately were taken under her wing and taught the traits of our gifts. It really shouldn’t have surprised us when we both developed a complementary element within the next two and a half years. Mother was with us each step of the way as we continued to further our mastery of the four classic elements of our world. At the Summer Solstice festival of that year, in front of the people of Wakanda and the King, the Queen Mother bestowed us with a shared title for the gifts we’d come to wield: “The Elementalists”.

Besides this, there was much more we began to do now that we had our powers to arm us like fangs and claws. We began to be trained separately- my Brother by Father and me by the King’s Sister, Shuri. Under her tutelage I learned a great deal of what it meant to be a Wakandan Princess, including the aspect of being a warrior. She knew much, having temporarily worn the mantle as the first female Black Panther. With it, she gave me a desire to one day wear the mantle as well and be remembered in the chronicles of our country. There was much to gain, though it would be in a struggle against my own twin brother.

Starting in 2023, the Queen Mother made short trips out of the country. At the time, I thought it was for diplomatic reasons since the war between the larger countries was underway. It wasn’t until closer to the end of the war that I discovered that although she did perform some diplomatic duties, “Storm” was also an active participant part of the time during the international conflict. At first, I didn’t understand why Mother would have eyes turn on her and potentially Wakanda. Then, Shuri reminded me that the Queen was there to support the burden of Wakanda’s King, which is exactly what Mother had done while leaving Father to defend the motherland. I felt much pride at that time in Mother’s actions. I hoped one day I could make be bold in my actions in order to make a difference.

Before Mother’s return, I kept on practicing with my powers. I was learning a lot about what I could do with them. However, when I was first learning how to freeze water, one of the shards accidentally splintered and burst in several directions. One shard even punctured my left side, just above my hip. Though it was quickly taken care of, I chose to allow the wound to form a scar. Though many would probably ask me “why” it is a personal reminder. A reminder that in order to achieve the heights I aim for, I must be prepared to receive the appropriate scars. Though I view them also as the small trophies for the small milestones I reach. As this is currently my only scar, I keep it well hidden and the only ones who know of its existence are Shuri and Mother.

Then the day dawned that would forever change the world: M-Day. Mother, My Brother, and I all agree that if my brother and I hadn’t been together that day, we could have potentially lost our powers. Our maternal ancestors had been practitioners of the magical arts. Like Mother, a fragment of that potential resides within our blood and grants us protection against all things related to magic. We hadn’t been told of this prior to M-Day as Mother hadn’t seen any need to share any of those details with us. However, it was just one more gift that tied my brother and I together.

In the December of 2031 through a rather interesting turn of events, I was invited to be one of the founding members of a new variation of the X-Men. At first, I had to ask for some time to think on the offer. As much as I believed in the ideals of the team and the vision for its revival, I had to consider a lot. Especially in regards to my role as Wakanda’s Princess. However, after a discussion with Mother, I realized that this was the chance to make a path for me to achieve the impact I wanted to make in the world. So I gladly accepted the offer and informed my contact that I would be arriving in Chicago in early January as my brother and I were both coming to America to represent Wakanda as diplomatic figures. Before we left, a lunar eclipse occurred over Wakanda and in that brief time, I felt like something was happening to me. I found myself blocked off from one portion of my powers, something that had never happened to me in the years since that branch had become available to me. It was a flaw that, although rare, could potentially be used against me if conditions went wrong. Mother told me to keep it hidden and not share this weakness with anyone, not even my own twin.

When we arrived in the city of Chicago, we were faced with a very important route of action. Something that in the hours it took to get us from Wakanda to America, my brother and I had discussed in depth. My brother had decided to voluntarily register as a show of good faith. We suspected that due to our diplomatic statuses that registration would be more of a paper formality than what we had been able to find through electronically available documents. Meanwhile, I had chosen to remain unregistered. I didn’t believe it was necessary but I was not about to be one to flaunt off my diplomatic privilege. Especially since my brother was going to be a part of the registered mutants of Chicago. We landed and accomplished all we needed to do. Afterwards, I left in secret and met with my Contact. He took us to the meeting place where I met the other three members of our new bunch. There we were, children of X-Men and Avengers alike: Hudson, Stark, Summers, Rasputin, and Okonkwo. In that moment, I knew I had made the right decision for my life.

So much has happened and there are more stories and memories than I care to share at this time. Certainly, there were many good times, though some were equally as tough and difficult. In the lowest and darkest times, I saw a lot of loss on our side.

I can’t believe how busy I let myself get that I wasn’t even able to be present to welcome Antigone back after her return from the dead. And now... I don’t think anyone can understand the sorrow and pain I feel for my teammates, my family, to be separated by such unforeseen circumstances. To help cover my own identity, as originally planned in our protocols, I voluntarily “registered” just like my brother. It does not utilize any of the technology that most mutants have to submit themselves to. Instead there’s simply documentation on what my powers are, basic medical history, and a timeline of when my powers manifested and what not.

I’m just grateful that I have a secure line by which to communicate with Antigone and the Combs as needed. Even though we are scattered now, I have hope and faith that we will be brought back together. This next time though, we will be stronger and larger than what Division can expect.

VA1F0RD | EIGHTEEN | PM OR SKYPE

This post has been edited by Makena S. Okonkwo: Jun 17 2017, 06:19 PM
PMEmail
^
----
 Posted: Jun 17 2017, 06:21 PM

36 POSTS
APPLICATION SHIPPER
© N/A · · Offline

4 hours later... I think she's done.
I don't know if the portion post-joining is as vague as I left it (wasn't sure I could read and then condense all the X-Men threads into a reasonable part of her story).
Please let me know if there's anything I need to edit/fix to make her work!
PMEmail
^
ROGUE
 Posted: Jun 17 2017, 09:36 PM

ROGUE

GIRL FRIDAY 23 -- 185 POSTS
APPLICATION SHIPPER
© VERA · SHE/HER · Offline

IN REVIEW!
here on goat:rtr we like to have all (okay, at least two) of our admins & app mods read through applications. this process doesn't take too long, so go explore the site. your status will be updated shortly. should you receive a private message from the staff regarding changes you will have one week (7 days) to respond before your application is archived.
PM
^
CYCLOPS
 Posted: Jun 18 2017, 04:04 PM

APPLICANT REVIEWER

APP REVIEW n/a http://fouma.free.fr/00.mp3 134 POSTS
APPLICATION SHIPPER
© STAFF · · Offline

ACCEPTED!

Yay! Zephyr! She's lovely, Va1f0rd. We love how the lunar tides play a role in her hydrokinesis, it's definitely not something we've ever had before.

QUICK TIPS

Remember to hit up our DATABASE and fill out ALL the claims forms. Don't forget the family relations for those related to marvel canons. After all if you don't claim it, you could lose it! Also, please remember to completely fill out your member profile.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Closed
New Poll

skinned by noä of cttw